Wednesday, August 12, 2009

CRISIS CREATES COURAGE

Swine flu is a fear that is spreading all over the world,but right now,it has assumed epidemic proportions,specially here in Pune,where I live.There have been many deaths, more people are on the critical list,and fear has created hysteria everywhere. Life here has come to a grinding halt,schools,colleges,malls,multiplexes,shopping centres,all have been ordered to close down for the next ten days,and doctors have adviced people to stay at home,as much as possible.A huge modern city like Pune has been thrown completely out of gear,and one can feel the perplexity,anxiety,animosity,in everyone,everywhere. Whats going to happen,and how do we bring this to an end?But I always believe, that it is in times of crisis,that the real person inside emerges,and shows the inner capabilities that lie dormant,when life flows along,peacefully.I find I can devote more time to my writing,which gives me tremendous joy. I sit in my lovely terrace,enjoy the sunset,when the sky is bathed in gorgeous hues,and think about the many ways I can contribute, to create awareness, about this critical situation. I try to educate my maid,and the other poor people around,who do all our dirty work,and don't have any clue about hygiene,and what to do to combat swine flu.Any pending work is also attended to,and being forced to stay indoors, has opened doors, to other avenues of interest,which I may not have realised before this.Fear does not achieve anything,only weakens the mind,and hinders clear thinking.Its important to be careful,sensible,aware,and informed,and help others to handle this difficult situation.With all this,I am busily preparing for my best friend's son's wedding,writing poetry,and planning the sweets that I have to make. It is important to stand up,and face a tough situation with balance,and hope for concrete results,for it is hope that fuels the mind to continue,inspite of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment