Wednesday, July 22, 2009

LITTLE THINGS MEAN A LOT

A few days ago, I was getting ready to watch my favourite programme on TV,and have dinner.Having returned after a holiday in Singapore,I was longing to enjoy macher jhol,with potol,which is my top favourite.But just as I was settling down, the phone rang,and my world suddenly turned topsy turvy.My very dear friend of thirty years,had to be rushed to hospital, in a very bad condition,and her husband,and daughter were completely shocked.Of course, I left everything,and rushed to the hospital,and had suddenly lost the capability to even talk.She was lying on the bed,completely lost to her surroundings, hooked to saline,and waiting for the situation to improve.All of us were there,looking at each other,but didn't know what to say,or do.It is these sudden twists,and turns of life,which brings us face to face with reality,that we are totally helpless at such times,and must rely on each other to come out of it.And it is at times of trouble that the strength of friendships surface.As I sat and watched her,I prayed for things to improve,and images of incidents in our thirty years of togetherness,kept flashing before my eyes,like the slides of a movie.But actions speak louder than words,and so I decided to get things moving.Her husband needed some tea,then dinner,and the doctor asked for some light food for her.Friends living nearby were contacted,I came home to organise things,and prepare a plan of action.Soon things seemed to be in place,and my friend smiled peacefully.The crisis seemed to be over,but she needed lots of care.It is at times of trouble,that the real face of those around, can be seen,and it is at such times,when we must come together as one.But do we?When she returned home,thank God, it was impossible for her to cook,or do anything at all.Everyone around, should step in, and be there for her.Bring in food for husband and wife,see what needs to be done,any help is welcome.But very few even make phonecalls,leave alone doing anything concrete.I've been wondering,in the word "Human Being," human comes before being,but today,the human is lost,only the being remains,that is why,even though my friend is slowly recovering,I have been at her side constantly,but I didn't see anyone else offer any kind of help.What a sad reflection on society today."True friends are like diamonds,precious,and rare,False friends are like dried leaves,scattered everywhere!"

No comments:

Post a Comment