Friday, October 16, 2009

LITTLE THINGS MATTER MOST

My two year old grandson, follows me around like my shadow, and will just not let me out of sight, even for a single minute.I have to play with him, run around,(I'm 70, remember?)sing, dance, read endless stories from books of his choice,and entertain him, in every possible way.He is a very sunny child, but with well defined opinions, very clear likes, and dislikes, and makes his decisions very vocally, always with a sweet smile, and an american accented thank you.His manners are perfect,and gets me to do things I have never done, very smoothly.And looking at him, I always wonder, why children are looked upon as helpless, poor little things, when they are extremely smart, capable, and clever, and know exactly how to handle each and very family member, according to his needs.
His mother is there to attend to his daily, basic needs, like food/sleep/ bath/ potty/ school. After that, ever since I have come, its almost a week now,he turns to me, for all the fun. If I want to watch TV, he insists that I take him to my room upstairs, and play.Disturbance is never allowed, or enjoyed, and taking him away from his little world, in that room, is almost like a crime. How dare you? Thats the question in his bright dark eyes.And the more I see him, I wonder at the innocense of such a little person.He has created his own world, where he is extremely happy, does exactly what pleases him, and doesn't encourage, or allow anyone, or anything, to interfere in his thoughts and actions,living life on his own terms.
How many adults can even imagine doing anything in this way?Isn't adulthood all about always trying to please everyone, for everything, at all times, and never giving importance to the most important person in life, the one inside?How many of us even listen to our inner voice,and live life according to our own desires, and not always fitting in with the expectations of others?I think we all can learn very valuable lessons, from the little kids all around us, and enjoy life, instead of making it the drudgery it becomes, for almost everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment