Tuesday, October 27, 2009

THE PUMPKIN FESTIVAL/OCT.2009






Hello out there to all of you, who visit my blog, and keep telling me, how much you enjoy reading my reports, about my life here, in the US.Its a lot of fun, made more so, because of my own attitude to life, and the way I look at things. But let me tell you about the pumpkin festival, going on everywhere in the US right now, to usher in Halloween, which falls on the 31st. of Oct.It is celebrated very widely, by everyone, specially children, who put on all kinds of scary costumes, go all over the neighbourhood, visiting every home,dressed in their scarriest, to collect the goodies, that are ready for them. And yes, since I am here, I will be joining my grandchildren in this adventure, and be a part of the celebration.It will be something I will greatly enjoy, since I love excitement, adventure, and most of all, to be with children.
We went to a pumpkin festival on Sunday,because pumpkins are carved, decorated, and displayed everywhere, for Halloween, and it was a wonderful experience for me.Travelling has always been a passion with me, and it has opened new vistas for me, at every step. But I didn't know that a pumpkin festival is so widely celebrated, is a great learning experience, and a wonderful sight to behold.It was freezing cold, and my hands were like blocks of ice, but I didn't stop at anything.I went all over the huge area, completely awe- struck at the display of pumpkins, in all shapes, and sizes, in so many different colours, and the excitement of the hordes of people, of all ages, picking out the pumpkins, that best suit their plans.
My 2yr. old grandson chose one for himself, a very small one, just like a ball, with his favourite cartoon characted painted on it, and decided to carry it, throughout.There were the prize winners, proudly displayed, huge pumpkins, weighing well over 50/60 kgs. or even more, a work of love by its owner.And then there were all kinds of rides to enjoy, and believe it, or not, this is the part I love most about a fair.The giant wheel, or the ferris wheel as it is known here, is my favourite, and I joined my little grandson on all these rides, and couldn't go on some, because they were meant only for little children, not for those who were mentally childlike.I also enjoyed cotton candy, a big ice-cream,(wow! It was freezing!), coffee with marshmallows, another first for me, and also bought a big fried onion, which looked like a lotus in bloom, because I wanted to photograph it, and show everyone at home.It was a lovely experience, thoroughly enjoyable,and very memorable.I will upload the photos for everyone to enjoy, and will be a beautiful memory of my wonderful experience.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Aunty!!!
    Iam happy for you. Iam seeing that you are indeed having a Wonderful time with your grandchildren.
    I read all your blog posts which I missed earlier. It is always a thrill to read your posts. It just makes me happy and happy for you.
    I cant wait to read more of your experiences in Buffalo.
    Take care Aunty
    Bye

    ReplyDelete